IN A WORLD WHERE 805 MILLION PEOPLE
GO HUNGRY EVERY YEAR FOOD WASTE DOESN'T MAKE SENSE
DOING YOUR SHARE IN FOOD WASTE MANAGEMENT AS A BUSINESSWhether its raw food waste or leftovers from an over–indulgent diner in a buffet line, many businesses regard them as a necessary waste and cover these costs in their operations. The practice of just throwing it into the bin and leaving it out to be collected is common and once they are removed from the premises to landfills, it becomes a forgotten issue. Many are well aware of its long tem detrimental effect on mother earth yet what we do is still the same.
So what if there was a way for these waste to have a new purpose? Composting is something many are practicing at home and in some countries, it is actually compulsory to compost organic waste. The results of these compost are safe and can be used as fertilisers- useful for the agriculture industry.
We at Mentari Alam EKO (M) Sdn Bhd (MAEKO), manufactures Food Waste Composting Machine would like to share some simple points to understand why composting should be considered for a F&B business:
1. BIGGER VOLUME = MORE WASTE
Your impact as a business is bigger than a home. Hence the amount of waste generated has a bigger impact on the environment.
2. COMPOSTING = LESS MESSIts actually less of a mess to compost compared to having to store your waste until collection time. Leaving waste around in bins or bags invites pest and also unwanted smell into your establishment. Composting machines with an odour removal process are part of the build up of these machines help reduce these problems,
3. COSTSYes, investing into a machine has its costs. But it’s the same if done traditionally – on top of the risks involved. Some establishments have to maintain a cold room and pay for haulage costs at a higher frequency. However, by removing organic waste from the list, your dry waste would not need to be kept in cold rooms and even haulage costs can be reduced in frequency with potential savings,
4. EASY TO HANDLE.The final composted waste are easier to handle. The compost are odourless and safe to handle – they can be bagged upon discharge and doesn’t require sophisticated storage handling before its picked up. Composted waste also becomes smaller in volume – less storage space is necessary,
5. A potential reward or revenueThe results from compost can be sold. Though its not of high value currently but if done collectively over a period of time and with the possibility of science – these composts could be turned into a potential revenue. There are already buy back schemes in place from MAEKO.
Our founder Chelsea Chee shares this - “As a business, educate your staff on the importance of segregating waste into proper bins and adopt composting into your process of handling waste. Or if need be – put it into your SOPs as a general practice. Whether as a CSR or the simple understanding of its impact makes a huge different for your future generation”.
For example. All the mall operator needs to do is to allocate a space to place the machine. The units do not require constant monitoring and part of MAEKO’s service is to help understand and educate how best to utilize their machine according to the waste generated in the establishments. Our range of machines comes in various sizes and leasing programs are available as well.
So call us for a consultation appointment and start making a difference today!
How can YOU make an impact?
More than 1/3 of the food we create is being wasted. The first step is to control our cooking and ordering habits at restaurants.
Whenever possible, distribute food that is still edible to those that are in need.
While unfit for human consumption, wasted food can still be provided to livestock.
All remaining organic waste can be composted and created into fuel for future food.
Only dispose non-organice waste that cannot be recycled - but aim to reduce the creation of such waste!